Sunday, August 31, 2008

Iced Coffee and Barley Soup

I sit in a small coffee joint on Mill Ave. (not the “cool” labeled end, but the segment across from the art museum, where one can walk through to various degrees, but is governed by the elemental nature of the edifice). The bitter brew revives. As the ice melts, the flavors diminish and subtler note can be heard forming a contrapuntal line to the melody of the bold body. New strains add interest and accent the harmony, while repeating the melodic theme in paraphrase. The barley soup has the body and spice to announce that this meal will be served with verve and my taste buds rejoice. Accompanying will be a peanut butter and fruit sandwich made for the gods. Crunchy, thick whole grain bread topped with smooth peanut butter, layers of impossibly thinly sliced apples and bananas drizzled with pure honey and sprinkled with walnuts: textures juxtaposed within a dynamic matrix of taste and flavor.
The barista, attractively filling her apron, happily served my food and beverage. She seems inexperienced; we discovered the menu together when I walked up. She knows how to make guests happy, though. I face the counter as I write. My current soundtrack is Apocalyptica’s When Worlds Collide, a great example of the range and flexibility of the cello as an anchor instrument in a rock band situation. The dorms were eerily quiet today, so after some translation from a topo to a project for my architecture studio, I headed out. Yesterday was the game, and the campus was filled with roaming golden clad groups of fans, cheering and celebrating.
Notes:
I sit and I drink. I have good music, and I just got another iced coffee on the house. Last night I had a completely odd dream sequence. I’ve already posted it as “Edward abbey, where art thou?” Tempe is hot, but I almost think I might be starting to get used to it. Tuesday I’ll be getting a bike, that’ll make getting around campus so much quicker, Excepting studio and sinfonietta, of course. The damage from the storm is being cleaned up. All streets are usable now, but there are still downed trees and sideways palo verde dot the cityscape.
I’ll go wander around now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Stick your comment here!